Buying Trados Studio for a Mac: what do I need to know?
Thread poster: BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:36
English to French
+ ...
Jul 11, 2017

Hi Prozians,

Times they are a' changing. I have used Macs since err... 1986 and have resisted the call of TMs so far. Well, except for the very effective - and very free – OmegaT which I use occasionally.

But with Studio 17, my PM is mincing through PDFs and can extract texts from the most arcane formats. That and the fact new clients ask for it.

So, Studio it is.

• First, any views re: the virtualization app to run Windows on a Ma
... See more
Hi Prozians,

Times they are a' changing. I have used Macs since err... 1986 and have resisted the call of TMs so far. Well, except for the very effective - and very free – OmegaT which I use occasionally.

But with Studio 17, my PM is mincing through PDFs and can extract texts from the most arcane formats. That and the fact new clients ask for it.

So, Studio it is.

• First, any views re: the virtualization app to run Windows on a Mac? Obvious contenders are Parallels and VMware? Any known issues with Trados/Windows 10?
• Second, are there any immediate limitations when using only the basic version of Studio 17? I am only intending to use my copy of Studio to open and prepare source for myself and other linguists in my team using Trados - and obviously to process projects.
• Third, any other tips or caveats you could share with me if you went down this route yourself?

Thank you!
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Cloning Jul 11, 2017

Among Mac users it is common (and recommended) practice to regularly clone your entire hard drive so that you always have a bootable backup if things go wrong.

One small difficulty I encounter when I reboot from a clone is that I always have to re-enter the licence numbers for some applications (such as MS Office).

I don't use any CAT tools myself but deducing from various things I've read here, my impression is that if you clone a hard drive that includes any CAT sof
... See more
Among Mac users it is common (and recommended) practice to regularly clone your entire hard drive so that you always have a bootable backup if things go wrong.

One small difficulty I encounter when I reboot from a clone is that I always have to re-enter the licence numbers for some applications (such as MS Office).

I don't use any CAT tools myself but deducing from various things I've read here, my impression is that if you clone a hard drive that includes any CAT software such as Trados, your Trados will be blocked and even re-entering your licence number won't let you run it any more.

[Edited at 2017-07-11 16:52 GMT]
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 08:36
It works fine Jul 11, 2017

It works fine on VMware and Windows 10 (probably on Parallels too, but I've switched to VMware after version 15, because of better Retina support at that time).

Scrolling through segments is causing screen artifacts that disappear when you stop scrolling. A cosmetic issue.

Integration with macOS is low. It is still 32-bit.

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 12, 2017

Thanks for the input. @CafeTran: that the info I was after. I think there are two versions of Window10, a 64 and a 32 bits. Do you think that Trados would work in conjunction with the 64 bits version?

Cheers!

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 08:36
Yes it does Jul 12, 2017

I'm using the 64-bit version too.

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Cafetrans Jul 13, 2017

Brilliant, just the info I needed!

So, Studio 17, VMWare and Windows 10 64 bits version it is.

Thanks for this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Buying Trados Studio for a Mac: what do I need to know?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »