Why doesn't my Across translate any word automaticly?
Thread poster: Wouthan (X)
Wouthan (X)
Wouthan (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 04:30
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Nov 18, 2014

I am currently learning Across v6.0. So far I manage to install the program and it's seems to work. I have seen some tutorials about how to use Across. Assume I know nothing about Across v6.0 (which is not far from the truth)

I have now created a project and imported a word doc (source text) written in English. The text is to be translated into Norwegian. My problem is that Across does not seem to know any word at all. Well, ofcourse it does, but what must I do in order to make it w
... See more
I am currently learning Across v6.0. So far I manage to install the program and it's seems to work. I have seen some tutorials about how to use Across. Assume I know nothing about Across v6.0 (which is not far from the truth)

I have now created a project and imported a word doc (source text) written in English. The text is to be translated into Norwegian. My problem is that Across does not seem to know any word at all. Well, ofcourse it does, but what must I do in order to make it work properly. I assume there is some kind of an bulit-in dictionary, right?

Please enlightend me.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:30
Finnish to French
CAT tools don't translate for you (except with MT) Nov 19, 2014

Wouthan wrote:
My problem is that Across does not seem to know any word at all.

Welcome to the wonderful world of CAT tools, in which the translator translates and the tool assists him/her.

If you want the tool to translate for you, you need to enable some kind of machine translation service (eg. Google Translate, Microsoft Translator etc.). I'm not sure about Across, but most other CAT tools support machine translation to some extent.
Wouthan wrote:
I assume there is some kind of an bulit-in dictionary, right?

Your assumption is wrong (in the case of Across, and of nearly all other CAT tools out there): it doesn't come with any kind of built-in dictionary.

The only CAT tool I'm aware of that comes with a built-in dictionary for your language pair is Fluency, a tool hardly used by anyone (just check its forum and you'll see nearly no activity there).

Since you appear to be new to CAT tools (and to professional translation as well), I'd recommend you start with another tool, since Across isn't exactly stellar, nor easy to use.

Wouthan (X)
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 19, 2014

I know by reading posts about which CAT-tool is better, there is different opinions about the matter. As I understands it, Across is among top 10 and its rather a package of useful tools than a straight foreward translation tool. I believe Across v6.0 will be rather easy to learn, or so it seems to me right now (I have delt with far worse data programs).
Generally, people tend to prefer what they have and what they know, and that goes for anything...
See more
I know by reading posts about which CAT-tool is better, there is different opinions about the matter. As I understands it, Across is among top 10 and its rather a package of useful tools than a straight foreward translation tool. I believe Across v6.0 will be rather easy to learn, or so it seems to me right now (I have delt with far worse data programs).
Generally, people tend to prefer what they have and what they know, and that goes for anything

How do I connect with Across with Google Translate or Microsoft Translator ?

[Edited at 2014-11-19 12:02 GMT]
Collapse

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
About Fluency Nov 19, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

The only CAT tool I'm aware of that comes with a built-in dictionary for your language pair is Fluency, a tool hardly used by anyone (just check its forum and you'll see nearly no activity there).

Dominique's statement could create a wrong impression about Fluency. That fact that there is nearly no activity in the forum about Fluency support does not necessarily mean it is a poor tool. It could be that this product is relatively new and/or that it has great support, which really is the case, but this is another topic.

I can tell that when I tried the demo versions of memoQ, Deja Vu X2 and Trados 2011 back in 2011 or 2012, I found out that they had very poor spellcheckers for Bulgarian — I could be wrong about the last piece of software. In addition to the built-in dictionary for Bulgarian, Fluency also has a dictionary of synonyms, which even my licensed copy of Microsoft Word 2010 (with Bulgarian user interface by the way) does not offer. Mind you, about 10 m people around the world speak Bulgarian.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Discussion moved to Fluency forum Nov 19, 2014

Georgi Kovachev wrote:
Dominique's statement could create a wrong impression about Fluency.

I've moved the discussion about Fluency to its own forum.

Liselotte K. de Hennig
Liselotte K. de Hennig  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 23:30
Spanish to German
+ ...
Tools -> Profile Settings -> CrossSearch Nov 21, 2014

Perhaps you were looking for the above mentioned menu where you can add Internet and Intranet ressources.

In the crossTerm you can import glossaries and dictionaries.

HTH
Liselotte

AAV
AAV
Local time: 09:30
Machine Translation Nov 24, 2014

Wouthan wrote:

Tools -> System Settings -> General / Machine Translation.

But afaik, using Google Translate via its API is not for free, so you have to provide some keys to access it.

Wouthan (X)
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still do not work Nov 24, 2014

AAV wrote:

Wouthan wrote:

Tools -> System Settings -> General / Machine Translation.

But afaik, using Google Translate via its API is not for free, so you have to provide some keys to access it.

I have checked for Google only, still do not work
... any suggestion on what to do next ?

Wouthan (X)
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
About CrossTerm Nov 24, 2014

Liselotte K. de Hennig wrote:

Perhaps you were looking for the above mentioned menu where you can add Internet and Intranet ressources.

In the crossTerm you can import glossaries and dictionaries.

HTH
Liselotte

I was going to about this options next. Perhaps you could teach me how?

Liselotte K. de Hennig
Liselotte K. de Hennig  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 23:30
Spanish to German
+ ...
User manual, page 172 Nov 24, 2014

Under ftp://ftp.across.net/documentation/user_manual_step_by_step_v6_en.pdf you can download the user manual and on page 172 you will find how to import terminology in different formats.

Kind regards
Liselotte

Wouthan (X)
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, only I does not have any TBX.file Nov 24, 2014

Liselotte K. de Hennig wrote:

Under ftp://ftp.across.net/documentation/user_manual_step_by_step_v6_en.pdf you can download the user manual and on page 172 you will find how to import terminology in different formats.

Kind regards
Liselotte

Thanks. It seems to be quite easy, if I only had a TBX.file to import...
I see two possible solutions.

1. I find a TBX.file somewhere on the internet...but I don't know where to start looking. Any suggestions?

2. I create my own TBX-file. I have a whole dictionary on a CD at my disposal. Lets say I want to add the english -norwegian word pair: RED = RØD ,but how to do it?

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TBX Nov 25, 2014

Wouthan wrote:
It seems to be quite easy, if I only had a TBX.file to import...

You can download Microsoft terminology in TBX form here. They have English into almost 90 languages, including both variants of Norwegian.
Wouthan wrote:
2. I create my own TBX-file. I have a whole dictionary on a CD at my disposal. Lets say I want to add the english -norwegian word pair: RED = RØD ,but how to do it?

Good luck extracting content from a commercial dictionary into a TBX (or even a standard CSV). If they made it easily available, the publishers wouldn't sell many copies of the glossaries...

Most CAT tools make it easy to add terminology (term pairs) to a glossary/termbase "on-the-fly", as you translate. This is how many translators grow their own terminology. You want a shortcut to happiness and add the entire English-Norwegian dictionary in one go. Again, good luck, or switch from Across to Fluency.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
RTFM Nov 25, 2014

Wouthan wrote:
AAV wrote:

I have checked for Google only, still do not work
... any suggestion on what to do next ?

Get yourself the Across reference manual and read it. AAV did tell you you need to provide a key in order to access the Google Translate API. Have you obtained such a key? If not, just google "google translate api key" for guidance. Get your credit card ready, you will need one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why doesn't my Across translate any word automaticly?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »